histry1
History of the NCC

In 1881 Mr. John B Cull, Principal of Royal College formed a Volunteer Corps with the intention of promoting discipline by doing drill. Mr. Cull’s effort became fruitful when expansion occurred with the introduction of a Cadet Battalion in 1902 recruited from schools and attached to the CLI (Ceylon Light Infantry).

At the time the Acting Commandant of the Volunteer Force was Major HG Morns, of the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry. Mr. SM Burrows was the Director of Public Instruction, as the post of Director of Education was known then.Companies were formed at Royal, St. Thomas, Wesley, Kingswood, Trinity and Richmond Colleges. These were commanded by honorary officers from among teachers and senior students. Cadet Battalion of CLI was reorganized with effect from 1st September 1910.School Cadets between 12 and 16 formed companies commanded by teachers.

Cadets on reaching 16 years were eligible for transfer to Cadet Companies called Cadet Companies CLI. They were commanded by officers seconded from CLI.

Further expansion took place in1918. Brigadier General RB Fell, Commandant CVF recommended the disbanding of the Cadet Companies and the formation of te Cadet Battalion with two divisions , Seniors and Juniors. Diyatalawa was set up in1904 after Boer War.

The Commandant and Deputy Commandant of the Sri Lanka Police Reserve held the appointments of Commandant ant Dy. Commandant of the Police Cadet Corps.

The Officers in charge of training and the permanent staff of the Corps were under a Reserve Superintendent of Police, who was responsible to the Dy. Commandant and Commandant.

Membership as cadets was open to school going boys and girls , who were below d18 years of age. Officers were selected from those in the Teaching Profession in Government Schools.

In the same year Corps changed its designation as Sri Lanka Cadet Corps, after Ceylon declared itself a Republic in 1972.

 

histri2

Cadets attended camp together with CPRC, ( Ceylon Planters’ Rife Corps ), CLI, British, and Indian Regiments. In 1948 the Commanding Officer of the Ceylon Cadet Battalion (CCB) was appointed the Ceylonese Commandant of the Ceylon Defence Force. CCB became the Ceylon Cadet Corps (CCC) in 1950. In the same year 2nd Battalion was formed with Headquarters in Kandy and 1st Battalion Headquarters shifted to Kalutara. Thus with its progress in 1953 the 3rd Battalion was formed.

Some of the other significant events in its golden history are,
In 1962 CCC Officers were called upon to perform duties in Colombo Harbour with other units of the CVF and Regulars.
The 4th , 5th and 6th Battalions were established in 1964 , 1968 and 1970 respectively.
108 Officers were mobilized for duties with the Regular Force in various parts of the country in 1971.
The Sri Lanka Police Cadet Corps was raised in July 1972 as a project sponsored by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Defence. The Corps functioned as an integral part of the Police Reserve.

 

 



In pursuance of proposal made in1981 by Hon. Minister of Education, Youth Affairs and Employment to broad base the Cadet Corps on a National basis under a central authority ; and consequential action taken there after, Act No. 40 of 1985 brought about the amalgamation of the Sri Lanka Cadet Corps and the Police Cadet Corps under the Ministry of Manpower Mobilization.
The NCC was ceremonially inaugurated on 29th April 1988, His Excellency J.R. Jayawardana then President of Sri Lanka became the Chief guest of the Ceremony.

 

 

Headquarters, National Cadet Corps, No. 15, Dutugemunu Street, Pamankada, Dehiwala, Sri Lanka
Tel: +94-112815346